Risotto is surprisingly easy to make, and despite this a lot of restaurants seem to mess it up. This is a fool-proof recipe for perfect risotto. Peas and pancetta are good freezer staples, and risotto rice should really be on your storecupboard list, so this is easy enough to whip up.
- 300g Frozen Peas
- 300g of Arborio rice .
- 1.5l approximately chicken or vegetable stock
- 4Tablespoons grated Parmesan.
- 2 Tablespoons of chopped pancetta.
- 2 Small onions or shallot, chopped.
- 3 cloves of garlic,peeled and halved.
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint.
- Small glass of Vermouth, White wine or Dry sherry.
- 1Tablespoon olive oil.
- 1Tablespoon butter; cubed & chilled.
- Gently cook the garlic halves followed by the shallot in the olive oil for 5-10 mins taking care not to burn.
- Add the rice and a half teaspoon of seasalt and cook for another few minutes until well coated then add the wine and cook, stirring continuously, until completely reduced.
- Now add the stock ladleful by ladleful, and cook for 16-17 mins stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile cook the peas in a little olive oil in a small saucepan for a few minutes and then add 30-50 mls of chicken stock and cook for another few minutes.
- Blitz the peas with a hand held liquidiser and add to the risotto, with the shredded ham and mint a few minutes before it is cooked.
- Remove the risotto from the heat and rest for 1 minute.
- Beat in the chilled butter and Parmesan for a minute or two to get a nice and creamy end result. Adjust seasoning and serve immediately.